Thursday, June 14, 2007

Flag Day

Did you know today is Flag Day? It is funny the things we remember from our childhood. I never forget that June 14 is Flag Day. Perhaps it is because I was born in New York that this was drilled into my brain at such a young age. I'll never know.

However, just incase you were wondering about Flag Day. Here is a little history for you. On June 14, 1889, George Balch, a kindergarten teacher in New York City, planned appropriate ceremonies for the children of his school, and his idea of observing Flag Day was later adopted by the State Board of Education of New York. On June 14, 1891, the Betsy Ross House in Philadelphia held a Flag Day celebration, and on June 14 of the following year, the New York Society of the Sons of the Revolution, celebrated Flag Day.

Can you even imagine what the 1880's and 1890's were like? I'm pretty sure the celebrations were humdingers that is for sure. Anywhoo, today is also very special to several friends of mine. I have two very good friends Hala and Tony's who celebrate their Wedding Anniversary and another friend Reagan who celebrates her birthday.

I wish you all a Happy Flag Day this fine sunshiny June 14. God Bless America

No comments: