This is Diana Hollingsworth Gessler and me at the Inspired Artist Workshop - last class of day 1.
From the moment I first laid eyes on Diana Hollingsworth Gessler's work from the Inspired website I was hooked. I was so excited to take this class. Her work is so bright and cheerful. I love all the colors and the wonderful character in each page is just amazing to me. I have always loved drawing and doodling, but have never really expanded that area to a point of allowing myself to grow and this was a chance to do just that. Diana was such a lovely teacher and taught us so much in such a short time. Here is just a little glimpse at what I learned.
There were a few supplies that we needed for this class and they made me happy to think about using them. A small water paint set, paint brushes, and a journal. Some of you may know that I used to do a lot of painting and haven't done it in a long time and I was excited to use some of my old favorite supplies from my past.
The theme of Diana's class plan was to teach us her tips and tricks for working in a journal. The first thing we did was paint the word tips, using different colors and learning to be loose with the brush. She talked about how our page is broken down into more than one segment of the trip or journey. She captures a memory in her journal to reminder her of the bigger moment that was experienced.
The second section we worked on was a map from home to North Carolina (the Inspired Artist Workshop). This was fun. I found it difficult to move quickly as she taught, but managed to pull out a sort of map...tee hee - I think it is pretty funny.
I loved this next section. She talked to us about how there is no way to really capture and draw an entire building or room when you are on a trip, so capture a window or door of that building or room to remind you and take you right back there. I copied Mechiel in a way and began to draw one of the light fixtures in the room where we were in class. Then I began to paint flowers coming out of the glass like dish , then I put a sort of door around it. I was enjoying the opportunity to hold the paint brush and wasn't really carrying too much about what I was painting. I was just playing...
Then Diana told us she really wanted us to play and draw our neighbor, so I drew Mechiel and she drew a picture of me. Diana has made a character of her husband that quite frequently shows up now in her pages. It was fun to draw Mechiel. Not sure it looks much like her, but it was a good first time attempt I think.
Diana has published a few books of her work. I loved them and ended up purchase a couple of them - perhaps one will end up being a gift if I decide I can actually part with it. Both books are signed by Diana which is very special.
This was such a great class. Diana's husband was there too and such a cutie pie the whole time. I can see how much fun they have traveling around the world together.
So know I've showed you three of my 6 main projects from Inspired. And, all three are completed. Not bad for the first day, huh?
To be continued. I hope you'll come back soon.



No comments:
Post a Comment